Monday, March 2, 2020

God Loves Justice Week 1

Hello Friends,

Thank you for joining me on this journey of discovering biblical justice. You can see my reflections on the first couple of chapters of God Loves Justice in the video below.  

If you haven't done so already please add you email to the blog! You can add your email in the box to the right that says, email address.  I have been using our Constant Contact email lists to send reminders about the blog but I may not do so every week.  

Please comment so I'll  know you were here!  I hope you have enjoyed the reading so far!  






Questions to ponder
1. What are stories from your own life that have urged you, pulled you, shaped you or called you to help those in need?  (you don’t have to call it social justice if you don’t want to:)  

2. I want you to think about the invitation Nicholas gives us in Chapter 1. 

“My goal is to extend the same invitation to you in the pages ahead. Whatever your current political opinions are, keep them. All I want to do is to challenge you to go deep into what God says He loves and allow God’s love for these things to transform your heart so you too can love what He loves.”

  1. What, if anything, makes you hesitant to study social justice?
  2. What, if anything, excites you about this study?
  3. Have you been surprised by anything you have learned so far?


3. Preaching, teaching and pastoral care are part of the everyday work of a congregation.  If God loves justice should the work of justice also be a part of the everyday work of a congregation?   What might that look like? What changes need to take place for justice to be an everyday part of our work? 



Feel free to simply ponder these questions or share your response to one or more of them in the comments section below.  You can also comment about something you discovered in the reading.  


Next week.


Next week we will discuss chapters 3-6.  That seems like a lot but it's just a little longer than this weeks.  Happy reading!!

6 comments:

  1. My dad was smart, popular, educated, and a natural athlete. I think he really understood how blessed he was. His combination of gifts drew him to become an educator and coach. What I remember so clearly about him was how he reached out to include the disabled, the outcasts, the forgotten kids to give them a better high school experience. He valued them for exactly who they were. He understood they could use his help more than some of the other kids who didn't share their hardships. That is justice to me. The understanding that we all have gifts from God and with those gifts come responsibility to support and care for others. I am reluctant to discuss social justice because it is all too easy for me to drift into judging, when what I need to do if appreciate. Even those who feel entitled, or avoid sharing, even those are God's children. I know that on one level but sometimes I struggle to accept it. So keeping my thoughts to myself and doing what I can to help others seems like a better use of my energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Dad was a great example of Justice in the everyday work of life. Thank you for sharing his story.

      Delete
  2. I thought the biblical history of justice was interesting. Justice was taught to the Hebrews. The purpose of justice was to restore and sustain shalom or peace. Doing justice did not mean just not doing wrong, but actively working to make things right for all. We often think about justice as something that has to be enforced usually by a small group of enforcers. But when we look at it from a biblical standpoint, justice should be taught to all with the intention of shaping our hearts as well as our behavior. It is still true that those with the least amount of power need special protection. What would our country be like if we acted as if justice has shaped our hearts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I can pinpoint a specific time I realized my concern for others. I've always been told that I was a fighter for the underdog. Where that passion comes from, I don't know but I question it or try to dismiss it.

    The big ah-ha for me in the first chapters was that God "does" justice and righteousness. We should imitate Him and "do" the same. I'm always excited to learn and grow spiritually. The healthier I am in my faith, the more I can help others.
    ew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intended to say, "I don't question it"
    ew

    ReplyDelete
  5. What speaks to me most, is the chart on page 16 showing the differences in our western view and the Hebrew view of Justice. Our Western view is skewed.....we have so much to learn and do ......”Justice is actively doing what is right and restoring what is broken” ......Restoring what is broken.....there is much work to be done.

    ReplyDelete

A List of Racial Justice Readings

 In Sunday's sermon I mentioned that reading is a great way to learn about our role in racial justice.  I said I could give you a list. ...