Monday, March 30, 2020

God Loves Justice Week 5


Today we dicuss chapters 13, 14 and 15 of God Loves Justice.  Thank you for sticking to the work and I look forward to your comments.  Here's the video.



Points to Ponder

1. I like Nicholas' explanation of Meekness, “being Meek doesn't mean that you become weak or a doormat..It means strength under control.  It describes those who don’t trust their own power. “

Who is an example of true meekness in your life?
What other explanations of the beatitudes stand out to you?

  

2. Nicholas says;
“I think many of us Christians have been trained to be passive toward injustice, because we have been trained to respond to suffering with intellectual reasoning. And when we find that reason, that is enough for us to explain away our own role in bringing change.”

What are some examples of how we respond to suffering with intellectual reasoning and fail to help?  What are some steps to change our response and move to help those in need? 


3. What areas of your everyday life need your attention in living a just and righteous way?

1 comment:

  1. I think this book and its subject matter are particularly appropriate for our current social condition. I am guilty of thinking there is someone else who can help or who is comfortable doing what needs to be done. In doing so I am intellectually reasoning away my responsibility to help. Today as we are asked to stay home a few things become clear. First is how much we actually rely on each other. We may not admit it. We may even deny it. But I know I miss the interactions with others. Technology is helpful but it is not a replacement for the personal contact. Secondly I find myself asking who will help if I don't. That is a new mind set for me and different from thinking there is someone else to care why should I? Now here we are in a war of sorts and we are learning we need others, all others, and we are learning we need to care, not wait for someone else to do it. The meek are the real movers and shakers in the world for they serve others with dedication and true caring. The meek are the quiet wonders who see a problem and then seek a solution. The meek say I can't do it alone, but I can do it because I have God. If our current situation is not humbling I don't know what is. I am hopeful the positives that will come from all of this is justice and understanding.

    ReplyDelete

A List of Racial Justice Readings

 In Sunday's sermon I mentioned that reading is a great way to learn about our role in racial justice.  I said I could give you a list. ...